Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday John!


On October 9, 1940 one of the greatest and most influential musical figures of all time was born. John Lennon would be celebrating his 68th birthday today if he were still alive. No other person or band (Beatles) has had a greater influence on my life. For anyone who has been touched in some way by John or the Beatles, today should be a celebration of his life. Here are some of my favorite songs for you to listen to:


Favorite Beatles songs: I Call Your Name, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, No Reply, Ticket To Ride, Help!, Nowhere Man, Girl, In My Life, Rain, She Said She Said, And Your Bird Can Sing, Baby You're A Rich Man, A Day In The Life, Strawberry Fields Forever, Dear Prudence, Hapiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Everybody's Got Something To Hide..., Sexy Sadie, Revolution 1, Cry Baby Cry, The Ballad of John & Yoko, Don't Let Me Down, Dig A Pony, Across the Universe


Favorite Solo songs: Cold Turkey, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Instant Karma, Mother, Hold On, Working Class Hero, Love, Well Well Well, God, Jealous Guy, Imagine, How?, Mind Games, #9 Dream, Stand By Me, Beautiful Boy, (Just Like) Starting Over, Woman, Watching The Wheels, Nobody Told Me

6 comments:

Smerc said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!

caliman54 said...

A great musician and artist. He is surely missed. Just 'imagine' what he could have done had his life not been cut short.

Jeff said...

One of the most amazing moments of my life was going to Strawberry Fields in Central Park a few years ago to commemorate the 25th anniversary of his death. There was hundreds of people all huddled around singing classic songs from John and the Beatles.

John was a very questionable person for the greater part of his life, but he seemed to really figure things out right before he died. He started reaching out to Julian more and was realizing the importance of family. It's sad he had to go right after he was getting his priorities straight.

By any chance have you ever read "John" by Cynthia Lennon? It's a great book that really gives a different view of his life. Of course it needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

carlozzi006 said...

Speaking of books about John, I am very much looking foward to John Lennon: The Life by Norman Smith. It comes out on October 28th. I'll be getting it.
http://www.amazon.com/John-Lennon-Life-Philip-Norman/dp/006075401X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223608788&sr=1-1

Smerc said...

YESS I CANT WAIT FOR THIS BOOK!

Bar L. said...

Great photos!

I love John. I think of him each year on Dec. 8th but sometimes forget his birthday. I had a very eerie experience at the moment of his death and usually blog about it each year.

@Jeff - I still have not read that book but have it on my list.