Monday, October 6, 2008

Album Of The Week (10/6-10/12)


After 1973's breakthrough album, Dark Side of the Moon, could Pink Floyd follow it up with another album just as great? In my opinion, they did just that and more. In 1975 the band released Wish You Were Here, which was a tribute to their former band member Syd Barrett who had left the band in 1968 because of mental problems from the use of psychedelic drugs. The resulting album is nothing short of a masterpiece. The album starts off and ends with the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond which is split into two parts. The song itself is a tribute to Syd Barrett. The other three songs on the album: Welcome to the Machine, Have A Cigar, and Wish You Were Here are all spectacular. There is not one weak moment on this album. Every track is amazing. The title track is easily my favorite Pink Floyd song with Welcome to the Machine being in the top 5.


Essential tracks: All of them. You have to listen to the album in its entirety to fully appreciate it.

4 comments:

Bar L. said...

I don't think I could choose a favorite between the two, but "Wish You Were Here" has more of an impact on me emotionally.

Great post.

I used psychedelic drugs extensively during the late 70's...usually while listening to Pink Floyd. Maybe that explains a few things about me....

VaTAga said...

Yes,every track of "Wish You Were Here" is more than amasing undoubtedly. But what you think about Roger Waters` solo projects? I want buy "Wish You Were Here" in SACD like "Another Side Of The Moon".

Jeff said...

Vataga - I hear ya! The Dark Side SACD is absolutely phenomenal, and is the sole reason why I purchased a SACD player. There are quadraphonic versions of WYWH floating around on the internet. The quality isn't exactly perfect, but it's a different take on the music. I believe it was transferred from a quad vinyl. I'm still crossing my fingers that it will be released, but I doubt it, because one, SACD's and DVD-A's seem to be on their final breath, and Gilmour was supposed to release his last album on SACD but never did. Although I do remember hearing rumors that a SACD version was in the process of being made, unfortunately that was around two years ago.

caliman54 said...

Killer album. Enough said